Why is my Pool Losing Water?
Pools lose water because of varying factors. The most common reason for decreasing pool water levels is because of normal evaporation. Normal evaporation can increase in particularly windy or hot weather. Conduct this bucket test to see if your pool is losing water because of evaporation or a leak.
- Fill your swimming pool to standard levels. Use a 5-gallon bucket to fill the pool with water 1 inch from the top. If you have an auto-fill device, turn it off.
- Dip the bucket into the pool about 5 inches. It is sufficient to set it in the first or second step of the pool.
- Mark the water level inside the bucket and the water level outside the bucket.
- After 24 hours, compare the internal water level with the external water level. If the water level outside the bucket drops more than the water level inside the bucket, there may be a leak in the swimming pool.
- Make a note of the exact time to check the bucket at the 24-hour mark, as waiting longer than this time will produce inaccurate results. If it rains, you will have to wait and start again when there is a clear forecast.